I’m at to TechED in Berlin … great party for the fall of the Berlin Wall 2009 (shameful timing) – once again Microsoft mess up my weekend. Windows Server 2008 R2 is pretty bold and it will have a significant impact on the market. Piles of guys I have spoken to are interested in the new capabilities.
There are some significant features in the R2 operating system that can help to boost productivity and help administrators gain more management control. It will be of specific interest to companies that have an extensive investment, or plans a complex deployment, of Hyper-V-based virtualisation; any company that has vast swaths of Windows servers in data centres where space, power or both are becoming tight; as well as any company that is planning to deploy Windows 7 on a wide scale in the near future.
In terms of support for R2 BE is already there with Backup Exec 12.5 for Windows Servers revision 2213 Hotfix 331998. This hot-fix contains recommended fixes for Backup Exec for Windows Servers version 12.5 revision 2213. New support for Windows 2008 R2 (RAWS – Remote Agent Support Only) and a Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructure fix (AVVI).
- Backup Exec 12.5 revision 2213 32bit Media Servers
- Backup Exec 12.5 revision 2213 x64bit Media Servers
Before installing this hotfix, Backup Exec for Windows 12.5 Service Pack 2 must be installed. Service Pack 2 can be obtained here: http://library.veritas.com/docs/334937. Administrative privileges are required to install this hotfix.
A full backup is recommended after installing this hotfix. Backup Exec Remote Agents must be updated
- Backup Exec 12.5 or Windows Servers revision 2213 Hotfix 327135 – 32 bit download: http://support.veritas.com/docs/334937
- Backup Exec 12.5 for Windows Servers revision 2213 Hotfix 327135 – 64 bit download: http://support.veritas.com/docs/334938
After applying Backup Exec 12.5 Hotfix 328462, an Agent for VMWare Virtual Infrastructure (AVVI) backup job with the “Granular Recovery Technology” (GRT) option enabled, completes with the exception “Failed to mount one or more virtual disk images” (For more details please refer to this document: http://support.veritas.com/docs/331927)
Installation Guide – The installation guide here contains general information for installing Backup Exec product updates as well as special instructions for configurations including CPS, Remote Agents for Windows Servers, Remote Agent for Linux/Unix/Macintosh Server (RALUS/RAMS), Clustered Backup Exec, Shared Storage (SSO) installations, Central Admin Servers (CASO) installations, and SAP/R3 Oracle Agents. http://support.veritas.com/docs/300795
Extended to October 2nd, 2009 Upgrade to Backup Exec 12.5 or switch from a competitor’s solution and save up to 35% of MSRP on Backup Exec 12.5 virtual agents for VMware or Microsoft Hyper-V.
Comprehensive Data Protection for VMware Infrastructures and Microsoft Virtual Servers
How are you backing up your virtual environment today? Are you applying an antiquated and time consuming backup approach to your new virtual server environment? Having to juggle multiple agents to protect your virtual machines while also managing different backup products for both your physical and virtual environments can be painful.
Expanded virtual server data protection with two new virtual Agents! Backup Exec Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructures and Backup Exec Agent for Microsoft Virtual Servers (including Hyper-V)
- Quickly restore virtual server files and folders from a single pass backup – save time and storage costs by eliminating a redundant file level backup
- Easily backup an unlimited number of virtual guest machines to disk or tape for added flexibility and savings
- Fast, efficient data protection for physical and virtual server environments from a single console
The BE 12.5 Agent for Microsoft Virtual Servers (AVVI) provides a single agent to support an unlimited number of virtual guests running on a Windows Server 2008 machines while protecting existing physical server files and Windows applications. Backup Exec 12.5 can quickly restore individual virtual files and folders from a single image-level backup – eliminating the time and storage requirements of a second file level backup
- Complete Windows data protection for new Windows Server 2008 Hyper-V systems and virtual systems running Windows Server 2000 and 2003 environments
- One agent delivering affordable data protection to an unlimited number of Microsoft virtual systems
- Comprehensive backup application for virtual systems and physical systems supporting disk and tape storage environments